Type: Seasonal (August 2013 - January 2014) Paid Position - Two Positions Available
Posting Date: May 1, 2013
Application Deadline: June 1, 2013
The Communications Assistants will be a part of the daily operations of the Communications Department. The successful candidates will report to the Director of Communications on items such as managing media operations for the Capital One Bowl and Russell Athletic Bowl. The assistants will also work closely with the marketing and digital media managers on various integrated communications initiatives.
The Communications Assistant will be responsible for a wide variety of projects related to media relations for the organization, including managing media operations for two bowl games, producing web content, coordinating press events, writing press releases, providing support at ancillary events, producing materials for at the Team Selection Committee and other duties as needed.
The ideal candidate should be a results-oriented self-starter, possess excellent written and oral communication skills, and enjoy working in a multi-task, detail oriented, and deadline-driven environment. Creativity, initiative, organization, good judgment and the ability to express thoughts clearly and simply are essential. Must be proactive, positive and a team player. Consistently demonstrate leadership, commitment and proactive behavior to the position.
- College degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related field
- Experience in a media relations/sports information setting (collegiate or professional) or related setting preferred
- Experience in writing copy for media materials and publications; familiarity with Associated Press style
- Experience in Adobe programs (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office including proficient typing and proofreading skills
- Other beneficial skills: working knowledge of HTML, social media, SportsSystems credentialing system
This seasonal position runs from August 2013 – January 2014, requiring at least 40 hours each week and the flexibility to work nights and weekends. The position requires the ability to work during the December holidays.